Thursday, April 17, 2014

Star autoguide with RPi - (3) 1st feasibility test with a telescope on a mount

I have done the first feasibility test with a real telescope scope.  The program was written in Python with Open CV on Raspberry Pi + Adafruit 2.8" LCD.  It can assist me finding a star, focus on it, and let me pick a star for guiding.

Above picture show Raspberry Pi and a Webcam connect to my guide scope.

So far, the mount control circuit is not setup, and the GUI is not user friendly yet.  We are testing software and camera for now.  The next step will be connecting RPi with my telescope mount for a real star auto guiding.

I skip many step in this blog.  After the project is finish, I will rewrite the entire blog for a record.  Enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maple,
    I´m impressed!
    Do you think ist possible to receive the Software for the pi and learn about the circuit that you built?
    I would like it very much!
    Thank you for your answer..
    Best wishes from
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. wasting your time,webcam is not sensitive enough,just spend the money.silly project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gra, thank you for your feedback.
    yes, this type of camera is not very sebstivity. With either choose brighter star or use larger scope, it will help. It works, but come with limitation.

    ReplyDelete